The Historical Association of Catawba County is currently recruiting for the postition of Executive Director.
The Historical Association of Catawba County (HACC) seeks a dynamic leader with highly effective collaborative and communication skills to fill the role of Executive Director. This position will work closely with the Board of Directors to refine, develop, and implement a progressive program for the HACC’s fundraising, exhibitions, historical collections management, educational activities, and community outreach. The Executive Director has primary responsibility and authority for the organization's consistent achievement of its mission. The ideal candidate will have passion for the mission and vision of the HACC museum and be a hands-on team leader.
The HACC is a private nonprofit organization established in 1936 and its first informal museum was a small collection of donated articles displayed in the loft of the Matthias Barringer log house. Over the years the museum grew and was relocated to various sites until in 1992, in an arrangement with Catawba County government, the museum was established at its present site in the former 1924 county courthouse in Newton, NC. Through its 6 professional and administrative staff, the HACC manages multiple historic sites throughout the County, including the 1924 Courthouse and History Museum in Newton, Bunker Hill Covered Bridge, Historic Murray’s Mill, Harper House and Hickory History Center and several historic cemeteries. The HACC also sponsors the Catawba Valley Pottery and Antiques Festival in the spring as well as hosts various events at their four historic sites.
The Executive Director will:
- Direct the museum's general operations, including human resources management, budget planning, and financial management.
- Serve as spokesperson and chief advocate for the HACC and represent the HACC to community groups, the media, governmental agencies, and other local cultural organizations, establishing and maintaining effective relationships.
- Provide leadership in museum operations including collections, education, visitor experience, membership, volunteer development, and facilities.
- Lead fundraising and development activities, including grant writing and developing relationships with foundations, corporations, and individual donors.
- Oversee the development and implementation of marketing activities related to branding, programming, community visibility, and attracting new and returning visitors.
- Present educational programs, including tours of HACC facilities, to individuals, schools, community and other interested groups.
- Provide reports, data and other information to HACC Board of Directors, grantors and other community partners as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree and some experience with a nonprofit organization, preferably in a historical museum or related setting.
- Some supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated interest in history.
- Demonstrated knowledge of standards and best practices for museums, non-profits, or similar organizations.
- Ability to provide strong leadership, vision and strategic direction.
- Knowledge of marketing, grant writing and fundraising raising techniques.
- Ability to represent the HACC positively through public speaking and presentations.
- Ability to develop, secure and maintain community sponsorships.
- Demonstrated excellence in writing and public speaking.
- Ability to work cooperatively, diplomatically, and effectively with museum staff, Boards, volunteers, and in community relations and outreach capacities.
Salary and Benefits:
- Salary $40,000
- Paid time off
- 12 paid holidays
- Employer paid health insurance
- Travel reimbursement and compensatory time off
Application Deadline: April 30, 2019
For consideration, please direct a letter of interest, resume and a completed HACC job application to:
PO Box 389
Newton, NC 28658