The library and archives offer a wealth of resources for those researching family and local history. Catawba County families, government, organizations, religion, education, businesses, and military are some of the subjects covered in the library, as are western North Carolina and overall state history. Bound volumes of the Hickory Daily Record and the Hickory News are available, as well as yearbooks from local colleges, high schools, and elementary schools.
We are currently in the process of cataloguing our library via the online website LibraryThing. While this does not allow you access to the books themselves, it does allow you to see what books we have available for research and the subject matters they cover. This is by no means a complete list. View our catalog of books.
In the archives, an extensive assembly of files on county families includes the Edith Warren Huggins Collection. Catawba County towns, cities, historic sites, events, and personalities are well represented in the photograph collection, and surveys of many historic houses and sites are held in the National Register files.
The Catawba County Historical Association provides limited assistance in conducting research requests. We have an extensive Family & Genealogy Research Library, which you may schedule to visit to conduct research on your own (please call to schedule usage of the Family Genealogy & Archive Room at least two weeks in advance). To schedule use of the Family Files please call 828-465-0383.
Please read and understand the following guidelines before making a research request:
- All requests are taken on a first-come first-serve basis, and will be processed per the staff’s availability. You will be contacted to make arrangements upon your initial inquiry.
- All research requests need to specify a limit to the amount of time you would have us research your information, in hour increments (Minimum 1 hour, 10 hrs. maximum). This must be specified before we can begin to process you request. Special arrangements must be made for requests for more than 10 hours of research.
- There is a $25.00 per hour fee. All fees are paid in advance. Payment should be sent once an agreed upon timeframe and number of research hours has been set in consultation with a staff member. Make checks payable to the Catawba County Historical Association or you may pay by credit card by phone (We accept Visa or MasterCard).
- Include all pertinent information regarding your request. Information such as time period, location(s), names, etc. can narrow the search, and will save you time and money.
- We prefer to send you the results via email. Requests for physical copies are welcome, but will cost an additional $0.25 per page + any shipping fees for mailing the materials.
- Due to limited staff and time constraints, the CCHA reserves the right to refuse research requests.
Please Note: The CCHA staff does not assist in researching the Catawba County GIS Aerial photographs.
Contact us by Phone:
Contact us by mail:
Attn: Family Research Library
P.O. Box 73
Newton, NC 28658